Dr. Ricarda Behrens (geb. Maekeler)
Postdoctoral Researcher, Soil Mineralogy Group, Institute of Mineralogy, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Leibniz University Hannover
PhD Research Project: Causes for slow weathering and erosion in the steep, warm, monsoon-subjected Highlands of Sri Lanka, Section 3.3 Earth Surface Geochemistry, GFZ Potsdam
Employee at Golder Associates GmbH Celle, monitoring and remediation of contaminated industrial sites
Education and degrees
Dr. (rer.nat.) in Geochemistry, GFZ Potsdam, Section 3.3: Earth Surface Geochemistry and University of Potsdam, Institute of Earth and Environmental Science
Dipl.-Geow. University of Hannover
- Mineral transformation in soils, identification of secondary phases and their influence on the weathering of primary minerals
- Mineral conversion during bedrock weathering and soil formation at different scales
- Mechanisms that initiate weathering reactions in minerals and determination of reaction rates
- Coupling of processes at the erosional surface with processes at the weathering front via feedback mechanisms through the weathering profile
- External influences on soil formation and mineral transformation in soil
Supervision of PhD students
Supervision of XRF analyses and sample preparation
1. Behrens, R., Bouchez, J., Schuessler, J.A., Dultz, S., Hewawasam, T., von Blanckenburg, F., 2015. Mineralogical transformations set slow weathering rates in low-porosity metamorphic bedrock on mountain slopes in a tropical climate. Chemical Geology 411, 283-298.
2. Hewawasam, T., von Blanckenburg, F., Bouchez, J., Dixon, J.L., Schuessler, J.A., Maekeler, R., 2013. Slow advance of the weathering front during deep, supply-limited saprolite formation in the tropical Highlands of Sri Lanka. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 118, 202-230.
3. Behrens, R., Bouchez, J., Schuessler, J. A., Wirth, R., Dultz, S., Hewawasam, T., von Blanckenburg, F. (2014 online): O2 driven weathering feedback controls low saprolite production rates in Sri Lankan Highlands. - Mineralogical Magazine - Goldschmidt Conference Abstracts, p. 155.
4. Ricarda Behrens, Julien Bouchez, Jan A. Schuessler, Stefan Dultz, Tilak Hewawasam, Friedhelm von Blanckenburg. Conversion of bedrock to soil and feedback processes between the surface and the weathering front in a deeply weathered regolith, Central Sri Lankan Highlands. Geophysical Research Abstracts Vol. 16, EGU2014-6615, 2014. EGU General Assembly 2014.
Current research projects
To be added
To be added